Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Overcome shyness by doing this... @NNP_W_Light


Are you holding yourself back because of your shyness?

Ever since I was little, I've been shy. I think it might have started in the first grade. It was the first time I was asked to speak in front of the whole class. I remember waking up feeling like a slew of butterflies were flying against my rib cage. I couldn't eat, couldn't talk. My mom tried to ease my anxiety but it didn't help. When I got to school, it got worse. By the time it was my turn to speak in class, my tongue swelled and my head spun. I grabbed ahold of the teacher's desk so I didn't pass out. Instead of looking out at the audience, I looked down at my shoes. I mumbled through my speech and when I was done, I rushed out of the classroom in horror. I had a bladder accident and terrified.

Ever since then, speaking in public has been difficult. Go figure.

Twenty years ago, I got the opportunity to speak at a book conference. I was petrified. Flashes of that horrible first grade speech flashed in front of me. While I hyperventilated backstage, a hand rested on my shoulder. I looked up into the eyes of Jonathan Kellerman, the bestselling mystery author. My jaw dropped. He started a conversation about books and before I knew it, my anxiety disappeared. He walked on stage with me and introduced me to the crowd. I gave my speech with no accidents or passing out. It was an amazing experience and I have Mr. Kellerman to thank. His compassion brought me out of my shyness and distracted me from my inner demons.

Overcome shyness by getting involved in something you're passionate about so you forget to be afraid.

This is exactly what happened to me and I am proof positive it works. When you're engrossed in something you love, your zeal will squash your shyness. It may still feel weird, at first, but you'll get used to it. Your shyness won't hold you back and you'll be able to do the things you want to do.

How do you overcome shyness? 

Share below. I'm always looking for new tricks.

MRS N

1 comment:

  1. I'm extremely shy, too. But I've overcome this, especially at book signings. Love your statement: "Overcome shyness by getting involved in something you're passionate about so you forget to be afraid."

    My husband says I transform from the shy little girl to an amazing storyteller when I begin to tell a group (or individual) about my stories.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear your thoughts, questions and insights.