Monday, August 26, 2019

Gimme 45 seconds... by @NNP_W_Light


A popular team-building exercise is sharing. Everyone takes turns standing up and sharing something about themselves people don't know. Not only does it build trust but it's a great way to connect with others. Professional sports teams like the Montreal Alouettes use this technique and it got me thinking.

What would I share? 

There's so much that people don't know about me. Do I share something positive or something negative? Do I share an aha moment? Yes, that's a good idea. An aha moment.

When I was in the eighth grade, I was living with my mother in a townhouse. My mother was struggling to make ends meet and couldn't afford the hot water bill. Instead of swallowing her pride and asking her parents for help, we went without hot water. I took a cold shower/bath every day for the year. I felt such shame and didn't understand why my mother couldn't pay the water. I made a promise to myself that barring a natural disaster, I will always have enough money to pay the hot water bill.

What did I learn from this?

Pride doesn't keep you warm at night and it's okay to ask for help when you need it.

What's your 45 seconds share?

I'd love to hear it. Share in the comments below.

Instead of hiding behind a facade, share something personal with others. You'll find it strengthens your work/personal relationship. 

MRS N

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear your thoughts, questions and insights.