Friday, November 1, 2019

Letting go doesn't mean giving up...



Letting go doesn't mean giving up, but rather accepting that there are things that cannot be.

Letting go is hard, especially when it's something that you have no control of.

A friend of mine (let's call her Lori) came to me with something that was troubling her.

... "and then she just up and stopped being my friend."

"What do you mean? Did she tell you she didn't want to be friends anymore?" I asked.

"No." Lori paused. "She has new friends now and doesn't return my calls, emails and breaks engagements on short notice."

"Oh." I thought about it for a minute. "Did you ask her about it? Maybe she's going through a rough time."

"She is and the kicker is that I have been there for her through it all. I've been so supportive. It just hurts, you know?"

"I know, sweetie, and I'm sorry you're going through such pain. But if she doesn't want to be your friend anymore, the best thing you can do is to just let go."

I hugged my friend, Lori.

Have you had this happen? I sure have. Friends have come and gone in my life. It's painful and it sucks. My first instinct is to make things right in any relationship, even if it is not my fault. I don't like conflict and I will try anything to bring back peace.

The reality is that when a relationship is over (whether it's on your end or the other person's end), you've got to just let go and move on. It doesn't mean that you stop loving that person. It doesn't mean that you're a failure. It just means that the person is no longer in your inner circle.

Lori is starting to let go and I'm glad. After time has passed, Lori will reflect on the happy times with her friend and see the benefit of letting go.

Look deep into your heart and ask yourself this question:

Have I let go of those people who have hurt me?

Letting go doesn't mean giving up, but rather accepting that there are things that cannot be.

MRS N

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear your thoughts, questions and insights.