Friday, August 2, 2019

No one has become poor from giving...



"No one has ever become poor from giving." -- Anne Frank

I am shocked!

I was talking with a few people yesterday about charity. This is how the conversation went.

Woman 1: I'm so tired of all these charities wanting money. Don't they know its hard times?

Me: I know, but its even worse for those families who are poor. Just the other day, I went to the **** food bank and I saw a neighbor of mine. She's a single mum with three young children. I felt so bad for her.

Woman 2: *wrinkles her nose* I don't know how you can go to those places. I'd much rather donate money than go in. *leans in* I could catch something.

Me: *mouth drops to the floor*

Woman 1: I know, it's not my job to help those that can't help themselves.

Woman 2: Amen sister. That's what the church is for.

I'm a Christian and was raised in the church. I was never taught that it was the church's role to help others. In all religions, it teaches believers to help those less fortunate and to be kind. I think many people forget that we're all people, rich and poor, and we all need help sometimes.

Charity begins at home and even if you're struggling with finances you can give a little something. I bet you know someone who is going through hard times. Take that $5 you were going to spend at Starbucks and give it to someone in need. It takes no effort and your kindness will not go unnoticed in Heaven.

1 comment:

  1. Love this: "It takes no effort and your kindness will not go unnoticed in Heaven."

    Amen, Mrs. N.!

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear your thoughts, questions and insights.