Monday, September 16, 2019

What defines you? by @NNP_W_Light



Your wealth or status doesn’t make you. Your kindness and character does. – Venkat Desireddy

What defines you?

Your career?

Your family?

Your wealth?

Your home?

Your car?

Your friends?

For many people, wealth and status defines who they are. It's all about making a lot of money and getting into the "right" neighborhoods. Society is obsessed with wealth and status.

I learned a valuable lesson when I was a freshman in college. I came from a divorced family and money was always tight. I got a scholarship to one of the best colleges in Minnesota and I was surrounded by people who didn't have to worry about money. I was judgmental at first because they had what I wanted.

Then I met Angela (name has bee changed to protect the innocent). She and I had a lot in common. We both loved reading books and listening to music. She was what I called a "free spirit" and we became fast friends.

One weekend, her mother and father came to visit the dorm. I was introduced to them as her best friend. Her mother disliked me immediately. I wasn't from the "right" home and later Angela told me her mother forbade her from speaking to me again.

Did her mother's warning work?

No! We stayed friends for a long time, over 10 years.

When I asked Angela why she didn't listen to her mother she replied:

"I'm not them, I'm not defined by money and status. I make up my own mind whether someone is worth being friends with."

I've learned two things from this life lesson:

1- Never judge others. You never know what they are going through and at the end of the day, they are just like you. Sure, they may have more/less money than you or live in a different neighborhood but they bleed and hurt just like you.

2- Wealth and status doesn't have to define who you are. Your character and kindness illustrates to the world who you are.

Again, I ask, what defines you? What makes you special and unique?

Angela, wherever you are, thank you for not listening to your mother! Your friendship got me through a lot of bad times and vice versa. I'm so grateful our paths crossed when they did.

MRS N

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear your thoughts, questions and insights.